Some new softies

November 17, 2011

My sister bought me a lovely gift for my birthday this week - Fiona Dalton's soft toy making book 'Hop Skip Jump'. 
I knew it was coming out in late October but hadn't had a chance to check it out.   Hop Skip Jump (the blog) was my introduction to blogs when my sister showed me a couple of years ago.  I'd never heard of a blog at the time but her's was one I checked regularly as I loved her style of toys and the materials she used.   I have made quite a few of her toys now and have had lots of fun with her new book already. 
This is 'Charlie' the cat (using the 'Archie' pattern).  Isabella needed a bit of help naming him appropriately as she thought 'loopy' and 'catty' were good names!  He was going to be for a new bub (a friend's not yet born) but Isabella looked at him and said, "but I don't have a cat Mummy..." so of course, Charlie is now sleeping soundly next to her at night!  I adapted the pattern to incorporate string joints on the legs so he can sit on his own.  I bought the wool for Charlie here.

I also made 'Eddy' the mouse for another friend who just had a baby girl...
He is made from a recycled wool skirt - also used to make this little deer.

Here is the original Archie...
And Eddy...
A few of the other gorgeous toys in Fiona's book...

I'm sharing today at Kootoyoo.

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. What gorgeous soft toys! Love that they all have names too which gives them even more character!

    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your soft toys are beautifully made. I can see why your daughter had to have the cat for her collection Charlie is very cute, love his tie too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlie and Eddy look so soft and cuddly. Happy Birthday... what a great present to receive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful book, your softies are gorgeous! Just popped over from our creative spaces, and love all your crafty things. Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Suz,
    Hop Skip Jump was the first blog I fell in love with too. My copy of Fiona's book arrived today and I'm so excited. I can't wait to free up some time to make some softies. It's a beautiful book. You've been very productive already. Your creations look great, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I do love archie, no wonder your lil girl has taken ownership of him :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love this book.. I just borrowed it from the library and I can't wait to make some! I just love Charlie the cat... too cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how wonderful! I love Charlie's tie too!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Suz, I'm so excited to see these - they're the first I've seen made from patterns in the book. They came up so cute, and I love your fabric choices. Thanks so much for blogging about them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day☼